Own Your Financial Future
EDUCATION & RESOURCES
MAKE A BUDGET
How many times have you swiped your card and said “this may not have been the best decision?” Often times we don’t see the improvement in our finances that we desire because of a lack of planning. Does planning cure everything… no, but it can help us assess our current situation and strategize on how to make the necessary improvements we need to progress. Have you ever heard of the 50/30/20 rule? This rule suggests that your after tax income should be allocated to 50% needs, 30% wants, and 20% savings and debts.
START AN EMERGENCY SAVINGS FUND
We all know that life happens. Unexpected things come up all the time. In order to have a greater chance of enduring those unexpected financial issues, we must create a safety net. This is called an emergency fund. Financial planners suggest that you should have at least three to six months worth of expenses tucked away for things like a loss of a job, repairs, or unexpected medical expenses. An excellent way to start off your emergency fund is banking your tax refund along with saving 20% of the money you earn each week.
PAY OFF ALL CONSUMER DEBT
I remember during my freshman year of college, credit card companies would pitch a tent and offer struggling college students free pizza if they applied for one of their cards. Fast forward to today, some of my friends are still trying to pay off large credit card bills incurred during that time. Debt can be one of the most crippling adversaries to financial peace. There’s tons of resources out there but the main two that have been personally impactful to me and my friends are Brass Knuckle Finance by Jarim Person-Lynn and Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. Lastly, remember your best ally in getting out of debt is Strategy, Sacrifice, & Self Control.
BUILD WEALTH WITH 7 INCOME STREAMS
Taking ownership of your financial future involves educating yourself, doing the work, and learning from others’ stories. The key to building wealth is often talked about as “7 streams of income.” Let me break those down for you:
- Earned income is exchanging your time for someone else’s money, usually in the form of a paycheck. This income should be viewed as a resource to take care of your financial obligations and to fund other income stream opportunities because gone are the days of only one income stream if you want to be wealthy.
- Profit Income is money you earn by selling a product or service for more than what it cost you to create or purchase. This income stream requires an entrepreneurial and innovative spirit. , It’s not easy, but when you master it, the opportunities for other income streams are limitless.
- Dividend Income comes from stock ownership. This income stream gives you the benefit of ownership without the challenges of being an entrepreneur. With ownership comes responsibility, so choose what you own wisely.
- Royalty Income is generated from selling or licensing the rights to use something you have written, created, or invented. This income stream is generated by the innovators, inventors, producers, and creators that hold Intellectual property and patents. What beats creating something once and getting paid every time someone purchases it, forever?
- Rental Income is from renting or leasing an asset you own, a house or a commercial building. This income stream requires large upfront capital, unlike other income streams, and can be a long-term goal..
- Capital Gains Income occurs when you profit from the sale of appreciated assets like shares of a stock, a business, a property, or any investment.
- Interest Income is from savings, CDs, bonds, or other lending activities.
Those are the building blocks of owning your financial future. It doesn’t happen overnight. It’s a lifestyle.
Want to learn more? Our Instagram is a great place to start! We host regular interviews with industry professionals & insiders to give you the best free financial education & advice. New programs will be coming out in the future!
Learn from thought leaders on
black ownership + economics.
Dr. Claud Anderson Discusses America’s Race Based Society, PowerNomics + More
The Breakfast Club features celebrity interviews, Charlamagne tha God’s Donkey of the Day, Angela Yee’s Rumor Reports, DJ Envy’s mixes and so much more! Every guest visiting the world’s most dangerous morning show is grilled with their signature blend of honesty and humor. The results are the best interviews to be found on radio.
SUPPORT OWNERSHIP IS THE NEW BLACK
Your support challenges systemic racism, helps our national economy, and impacts black ownership. Join the movement, along with national recording artists Derek Minor for inclusive opportunity and ownership for black Americans.